Are you a writer who is struggling financially?
You are not alone.
Many of us have either been there at one time or another; or are there right now. This is especially true for new writers and authors.
If you are a new writer who has just completed your book, you are probably struggling with finances. You may need to hire an editor and/or a book cover designer; and some of us have little to no financial resources for these services.
While struggling financially can be difficult and frustrating; there are some benefits to being broke believe it or not.
Here are 7 ways writers can benefit from being broke.
- Being broke forces you to be more creative. If you have little to no financial resources, you will have to find more creative ways to get what you need. “Necessity is the mother of all invention.”, as the saying goes. (Originally coined by Plato). You might even end up creating your own method or way of doing something that you can eventually teach or sell to other writers and authors.
- You will learn more about yourself and just how resourceful you can be. With little to no financial resources, you will have to find less expensive or even free alternatives to complete your project. This is where your resourcefulness comes in. As I’m sure you can imagine, it takes quite a bit of resourcefulness to find cheaper and less expensive ways of doing things. Being broke will help you discover an inner strength you didn’t know you had before. You will know you can handle just about any situation. You will realize you are stronger than you thought you were. You might even discover some talents you never knew you had before. For instance, if you don’t have any resources to hire a book cover designer; you may decide to learn how to do this yourself. This will of course be another skill you can use to your advantage. There are some free and low cost resources you can use to create book covers. On Fiverr you can hire a designer for as little as $5.00. Pixabay is another site where you can use free images for anything you want. Amazon also has a free book cover designer if you are publishing your book there. And you can also create your own designs for free at Canva. These alternatives may not be as good as hiring a professional book cover designer; but when you are first starting out you may need to use some of these less expensive alternatives. And as I mentioned, you may even discover you have the talent to do it yourself!
- Your sense of self worth will increase. You will come to realize that you are a valuable human being just for who your are. You are not valuable because you have money or success, or because of what you do. You are valuable just for being who you are. Money and success are just icing on the cake. When you value and love yourself for who you are; money and success will come to you more easily. You are a valuable human being regardless of how little or how much money and success you have.
- Motivation. Being broke acts as a motivator. If you already have enough money and resources, you many not be motivated to do anything. Being broke will give you the incentive to take action. Action is always what gets things accomplished.
- Being broke will push you to be more social. When you are broke you need to reach out to other people for help. You may need to collaborate with others more than usual in order to get your project completed. This is a good thing. You may make important connections that you wouldn’t have otherwise made if you weren’t reaching out. You never know who other people might know or what connections they might have. You may even form close friendships with some of your connections. And who knows, you might even meet your soul mate!
- Gratitude. You will begin to have gratitude for the things you do have, rather than focusing on what you don’t have. You will come to appreciate the things you already have. When you have gratitude for the things you already have; more good will come into your life. If you make a list of all the things you’re grateful for; you will often realize that you have a lot more than you thought you had.
- You may experience spiritual and personal growth as a result of being broke. In difficult situations we often need to turn to something Greater than ourselves. You may find that you are being provided with what you need despite being broke. That is because this is a supportive universe. Creativity and spirituality are closely linked. As long as you are following your path and being true to yourself, you will be provided with what you need. You will realize this one truth: God supports artists!
What are some of the ways you get by when you are experiencing financial difficulties? We would love to hear about it in the comments below.